Carpe Vitam

As junior takes baby steps towards schooling, all those dormant fears about that “place” raises its ugly head again. Reading books like “Malice” which talks about bullying in school didn’t quite discourage that thought process and the more I read news, more scary it becomes as to the kind of world my kid would be entering into. The more I observe school going kids, the more I get confused that where is the innocence that is usually associated with childhood!! Words that were once taboo for us as kids, are style statements for present generations and nothing seems to be sacred. As news about pollution causing institutions to shutdown, rains causing havoc and summer getting more and more intense, the next decade could very well be witnessing scenes from sci-fi movies I guess. We may soon start living in underground bunkers. With ever increasing trend of greedy and imbecile people lining up for usurping powerful posts in politics, anarchy is just around the corner.

The biggest challenge I believe for his generation would be to identify true information from false. We’re surely witnessing the “data age” at its nascent stages and the turmoil caused by people with access to creating content and sharing it. We’ve recently witnessed the case of fake news toppling overwhelming favorite and pushing a buffoon to the post of supposedly the most powerful position in the world. Soon time may come when the concept of news wouldn’t ever fit into the format of national, entertainment, weather and sports, but just cacophony of shouting spree in the name of debates.

I’ve often wondered what kind of a society my kid would grow into and like many parents, securing their finance strikes as priority numero uno. But beyond that, nothing strikes as significant for it wouldn’t be in my control to decide on the civility, trueness and goodness of the society he would end up with. As a concerned parent, the least I can do is to strengthen him to overcome the hazards of growing up in a near hostile environment. I am clueless how to go about it but hoping to learn quick enough before its late. But, whenever I see him mock imitate the way I sneeze, the way I do my neck exercises, in front of my mom and his, with a sly sideways look at me, the strain of securing his future falls flat against the joys of enjoying the present.

Comments

Ramesh said…
That last sentence sums it all. Just enjoy the present. Que sera sera.

We all went through different, but the same sort of growing up issues. We coped. he will too.

I suggest, financial security for the child should not be a goal. By all means we must secure his education. After that he will find his won way in life. We do not need to provide financial security forever. Instead I would suggest that inculcating a good set of values is our responsibility. That's the best tool we can give a child. With that he will succeed in the world.
Savitha said…
A post that I can well relate to, too, Gils. Thank you for bringing this up. The challenges these kids face are much much harder that we did as kids. A primary 1 kid advises my son against hugging kids in playground, citing 'molestation' charges- seriously, from the rural background I come from, molestation wasnt even heard of even after the 20s.

Agree completely with Ramesh on financial security bit, only that we must not give into peer pressure- which is a big challenge to us parents :D. I think end of day, it is a fine balance- a very very fine balance between giving up our generation's sternness, and adapting to this generations' circumstances. I am clueless about how we are going to handle the evolving demands (Seriously, I am even wary of birthday parties-given that even this is a huge challenge, other issues need more of my effort).

That said, over the past 4 years, I have seen that open conversations have helped a long way. Hope that works all along- have to keep the communication channel clear, without giving in to parental control :)
gils said…
Thanks thala for the positiveness. Its much needed.

@athivasi: each gen had its own challenges. but with evolution, the kind of challenges also evolves at much quicker rate. ipolam ithu kids prachanai idhu periavangalthunu can't separate anything

Popular posts from this blog

Rudhra Veenai

Pirivom Santhippom

Unnnai...Kan theduthay...HIC...